One of the things I love most when it comes to planning any event, party, baby shower, or my own wedding, is the details.
Those little touches that gives an ordinary event an edge. One of my favorite things to do if we have a party at our house is to make muffins and individually wrap them up to pass out at the end of the night so that our guests don't have to worry about breakfast the next morning. What a great surprise! 5 more minutes of sleep the next morning. I just love thoughtful details.
And at Petal, we do things the same way. Over the past year we've implemented sweet gestures that make life easier and show thoughtfulness to our brides. We know the things that get overlooked when it comes to wedding day flowers and we make sure to take care of those for our clients in advance so they don't have to worry about it on their wedding day.
Here are a few of the details that Petal provides for our brides to make their wedding day easier:
With every bride's bouquet, we leave behind a vintage hankie/embroidered napkin. The vintage part is just cute but the hankie/napkin is necessary to wipe the water off of the stems of the bouquet to prevent water from dripping on her dress and leaving behind a water mark.
- We write a handwritten thank you note with the flowers that the bouquet is filled with, instructions about our provided hankie, and where and how to hold the bouquet. We love listing all the flowers that are in the bride's bouquet. We know she didn't become a flower expert overnight and that she might want to be able to look back and know what her bouquet had in it. We also leave instructions on how to hold the bouquet, why we included a hankie, and a thank you note for letting us be be a part of her special day.
- We throw in an extra boutonniere and always give extra corsage and boutonniere pins. I've seen it happen a million times.... The kindhearted Usher gives up his boutonniere because sweet Grandpa Joe showed up and didn't RSVP and he obviously ranked higher on the importance list so Usher #3 just got the boot. We love Usher #3 and Grandpa Joe and we hate for anyone to not be honored on such a special occasion. We also know that things happen that's why we tuck in an extra boutonniere for the "uh-oh" moments. And we give lots of extra boutonniere and corsage pins in case one falls, breaks, or we need a reinforcement.
- We use quality ribbons. Silk, lace, patterns, textures, satin...you name it. If it's beautiful, we love it and use it. We don't believe in the cheap half paper/half fabric junk. We use pearl pins in all our bouquets to hold ribbons in place and we make every effort to ribbon all the boutonnieres in ribbon too. Most of the time it's just green floral tape but at Petal, we want every boutonniere to shine.
- We drop off our bouquets in bouquet vases. You'd think this would be standard... but sadly, it's not. On a hot July day, bouquets are often left in boxes turned over with big "X" cuts in the top to hold each bouquet. Not at Petal! We leave each bouquet in it's own bouquet vase so that it can stay hydrated as long as possible and doesn't get crushed when set down while a bridesmaid touches up her lip gloss on hour 3 of pictures.
- We label. We love to label. Not in the judgey way you're thinking of but handwritten labels. "Who get's this boutonniere?" =The mantra of every confused family member in charge of passing them out. Well, relax dear family members. We ask our Brides to give us a list of names or we will label every boutonniere with "groomsmen" or "Father of the Bride" to eliminate anyone having to go ask the Bride.
- Our flower girl petals come in cute little kraft paper Chinese take-out boxes. This is truly the most insignificant of all the details but one of my favorites. Floral patterned washi tape holds the label in place and makes the sweetest vehicle to getting the petals from us to the little one's basket.
From cutting out felt and sticking it to the bottom of vases so it doesn't scratch a table surface, to making pedestal arrangements with hidden disposable bowls so that guests can take home the centerpieces at the end of the night, we work hard at the details because they matter.